Viridian Folic Acid with DHA Veg Caps
Viridian Folic Acid with DHA 30 Veg Caps
Ο βασικός μηχανισμός δράσης του φολικού οξέος είναι ο ρόλος του στην κυτταρική διαίρεση και τη σύνθεση DNA. Χωρίς φολικό οξύ, τα κύτταρα δεν διαιρούνται σωστά. Το φολικό οξύ είναι ιδιαίτερα σημαντικό για την ανάπτυξη του νευρικού συστήματος του εμβρύου και για την υγιεινή παραγωγή των ερυθρών αιμοσφαιρίων. Το φολικό οξύ απαιτείται επίσης για την αναγέννηση της μεθειονίνης απο την ομοκυστεΐνη και διαδραματίζει καθοριστικό ρόλο ως «μεθυλο-δότης».
Το φολικό οξύ είναι μέλος της ομάδας βιταμινών Β. Οι ιατρικοί σύμβουλοι της κυβέρνησης της Αγγλίας συμβουλεύουν ότι όλες οι γυναίκες που σχεδιάζουν μια εγκυμοσύνη πρέπει να παίρνουν 400ug φολικού οξέος καθημερινά σαν συμπλήρωμα από την έναρξη της προσπάθειας να συλλάβουν μέχρι την 12η εβδομάδα της εγκυμοσύνης.
Το DHA (docosahexaenoic οξύ) είναι ένα λιπαρό οξύ σημαντικό για την ανάπτυξη του εγκεφάλου και των ματιών του εμβρύου.
Δόση: Μία καψούλα την ημέρα με το φαγητό ή όπως συστήσει ο γιατρός
Σημ. Κάθε μπουκάλι περιέχει 30 φυτικές κάψουλες.
Αλληλεπιδράσεις: Το φολικό οξύ εργάζεται μαζί με τη βιταμίνη Β12, και τη χολίνη.
ΣΥΣΤΑΤΙΚΑ: Φολικό οξύ 400ug, DHA 10mg
Viridian Folic Acid with DHA 30 Veg Caps
Folic acid is a member of the B complex family. The Government's Chief Medical Officers advise that all women planning a pregnancy should take a 400ug folic acid supplement daily from the start of trying to conceive until the 12th week of pregnancy. DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) is a fatty acid important for the development of the foetal and infant brain.
Information: The basic mechanism of action underlying folic acid is its role in cellular division and DNA synthesis. Without folic acid cells do not divide properly. Folic acid is critical in the nervous system development of the foetus and for healthy red blood cell production. Folate is also required for the regeneration of methionine from homocysteine and plays a key role as a ‘methyl-donor’.
- NEURAL TUBE PROTECTION – Folic acid supplementation of 400 ugs daily in early pregnancy has been shown to reduce the incidence of neural tube defects by 48% to 80%. Numerous studies have suggested that it would appear prudent to utilise folic acid pre-conceptually and throughout pregnancy. The Government’s Chief Medical Officer recommends all women to supplement with 400ug daily from 12 weeks prior to conception.
- CARDIOVASCULAR PROTECTION – Folic acid plays a key role in protecting the cardiovascular system by regulating body concentrations of homocysteine, an intermediate in the conversion of the amino acid methionine to cysteine. The lower the folic acid intake the higher homocysteine levels rise increasing the risk of atherosclerosis (artery furring). Homocysteine would appear to promote atherosclerosis by directly damaging the artery and reducing the integrity of the vessel wall. Elevated levels of homocysteine are found in 20% to 40% of patients with heart disease.
- DEPRESSION – Folic acid exerts a mild anti-depressant effect and correcting deficiency has brought about dramatic results in mental and psychological symptoms in patients, especially the elderly suffering from impaired mental function. Its anti-depressant effects are due to its function as a methyl donor and increasing the brain content of serotonin, SAM (S-adenosyl-methionine), and BH4 (tetrahydrobiopterin). BH4 functions as an essential coenzyme in the activation of enzymes that manufacture monoamine neurotransmitters like serotonin and dopamine from their corresponding amino acids. E.g. tryptophan > 5HTP > serotonin.
- OSTEOPOROSIS – Elevated levels of homocysteine in the blood of postmenopausal women have an adverse effect on collagen cross-linking, leading to defective bone matrix development. Given that osteoporosis is a condition characterised by both a loss of the protein structure and well as the mineral content of the bone it is likely that the homocysteine theory carries validity. Folic acid supplementation has been shown to lower homocysteine levels in postmenopausal women even when their folic acid status was within the normal range.
- CERVICAL DYSPLASIA – This is an abnormal condition of the cells of the cervix. It is generally regarded as a pre-cancerous lesion and has risk factors similar to those of cervical cancer. It is suggested that oral contraceptives interfere with folate metabolism resulting in cervical tissue deficiency of folate.
Docosahexaenoic Acid (DHA) is a highly unsaturated omega-3 fatty acid that forms part of the central nervous and visual system structures. DHA is synthesized from its precursor, alpha-linolenic acid that is also an omega-3 fatty acid and can be obtained from vegetable oils. Marine organisms, especially fish, are good nutritional sources of DHA and eicosapentanoic acid (EPA), another omega-3 fatty acid that has a role in vascular homeostasis. DHA increases membrane fluidity, improving neurogenesis, synaptogenesis and the activity of retinal photoreceptors. The fetus has high DHA requirements particularly during the last trimester of pregnancy.
- EYE HEALTH - DHA is essential for eye and brain development. It is an important dietary nutrient for infants. DHA comprises about 60 percent of the rod outer segments of the eyes. The percentage of DHA in retinal tissue increases rapidly in the last half of pregnancy. Cell membranes of the retina and visual cortex, highly enriched in DHA, develop rapidly during the last trimester -- the period of most rapid eye development -- and in the first 6 months of infancy.
- BRAIN DEVELOPMENT - Beyond development, the eyes and the brain need plentiful stores of DHA to function optimally. Cells in the retina, brain and other parts of the nervous system have connecting arms that transport electrical currents, sending visual information from the retina to the brain and messages from the brain throughout the body. DHA supplementation ensures the optimal composition of cell membranes necessary for the most effective transmission of these signals.
- MENTAL FUNCTION - Studies have shown that pre-term infants, born without the benefit of the maternal delivery of DHA during the period of most rapid brain growth in the last trimester of pregnancy, did not perform as well on cognitive mental tests later in life (by up to 20 IQ points) as those who were breast-fed. Specific behavioural and learning problems have also been shown to correlate significantly with low DHA levels.
- DYSLEXIA - Dyslexia, a learning disorder marked by impairment of the ability to recognize and comprehend written words, has been correlated with sub optimal DHA levels. Stordy (1995) reported that DHA supplementation in adult dyslexics improved rod dark adaptation or night vision. Stordy also reported anecdotal evidence that DHA supplementation improves dyslexics’ reading ability and behaviour.
- ATTENTION DEFICIT HYPERACTIVITY DISORDER - Children with ADHD also have low DHA levels and experience essential fatty acid deficiency symptoms including hyperactivity and short attention span. Studies are under way to determine whether DHA supplementation can alleviate these symptoms.
Interactions: Folic acid works together with vitamin B12, and choline.
Recommended Intake: One capsule daily at mealtimes, or as directed by your healthcare professional.
Ingredients: One vegetarian capsule provides bilberry extract, organic alfalfa, organic spirulina blend: 380mg, cellulose capsule 100mg, DHA (docosahexaenoic acid) 10mg, folic acid 400ug.